HAROLD HUNTER FOUNDATION, DC SHOES, AND FRIENDS TO HOST SERIES OF SKATEBOARDING EVENTS IN NEW YORK CITY FROM JUNE 22-26
NEW YORK, NY – June 15, 2022 – The Harold Hunter Foundation (HHF), in association with Presenting Sponsor DC Shoes, and Supporting Sponsors Dickies, Element Skateboards, G-Shock, HUF, and Zumiez, is proud to announce it will host a series of skateboarding events, including a photo exhibit, film screening, skate jams, and parties in New York City from Wednesday, June 22nd through Sunday, June 26th – all in remembrance of legendary skateboarder Harold Hunter who passed away in 2006.
Each year, Harold Hunter Weekend is one of NYC’s largest and most highly anticipated skateboarding events. This year’s Fifteenth Annual Harold Hunter Weekend will feature a series of special events that celebrate everything Harold loved most – skateboarding, art, music, friends, family, food, and New York City.
“Harold Hunter Weekend kicks off the summer here in NYC and Harold Hunter Day is the unofficial homecoming event for generations of skaters from the city and beyond”, says HHF Board Member and Mayor of NYC Skateboarding Steve Rodriguez. “I’m looking forward to all the events and catching up with everyone who will be celebrating Harold’s life!”
As a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit grassroots organization, the Harold Hunter Foundation relies on financial backing from the community to provide a network of support, opportunity, and advocacy for NYC youth so they can reach their full potential as skateboarders and young adults. HHF believes skateboarding has the power to transform lives.
Following is an overview of Harold Hunter Weekend XV events and collaborations that will benefit the Harold Hunter Foundation:
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 22:
- Cash for Tricks hosted by HUF & Billy Rohan at Tompkins TF
THURSDAY, JUNE 23:
- Harold 89, an exhibit of mostly unseen photos by Charlie Samuels, presented by Element Skateboards at ELM Foundation 191 N 14th Street, Brooklyn.
- RSVP: https://Harold89.eventbrite.com
FRIDAY, JUNE 24:
- Screening of “Monochrome”, an authentic story of the Black experience in skateboarding, followed by a discussion at 218 W. 18th St, 8th Floor
SATURDAY, JUNE 25:
- The Boardr Open presented by DC Shoes featuring the HHF Wildcard Contest at LES Skatepark
- Open to 20 local skaters, the male and female winners of the HHF Wildcard Contest will each receive $250 towards travel expenses to the event of their choice
- Women/LGBTQIA+ Skate Jam at Golconda/Fat Kid Skatepark in Brooklyn presented by Dickies
- DC Shoes Presents: Harold Hunter Forever - the official HHDay Pre-Party featuring a screening of “HAROLD,” a new video by R.B. Umali
- 21+, RSVP required: email@example.com
SUNDAY, JUNE 26:
- Harold Hunter Day XV Skate Jam presented by DC Shoes at LES Skatepark
- All-ages skate jam featuring best trick contests with cash and prizes, live music, and a massive product toss with free decks, t-shirts, hats, and more
Additionally, to coincide with HH Weekend, a limited edition HHF x Element capsule collection with images of Harold by Charlie Samuels will be released with proceeds benefiting the Harold Hunter Foundation. Legendary photographer and award-winning director Charlie Samuels got his start shooting the rise of NYC skateboarding for Thrasher. The capsule features a co-branded t-shirt, hooded sweatshirt, and deck, and will be available for sale at www.haroldhunter.org starting Friday June 24th. Supplies are limited and will sell out fast.
For more information on HH Weekend and the Harold Hunter Foundation, please visit www.haroldhunter.org/blog, or follow the action on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Harold Hunter Foundation
The Harold Hunter Foundation (HHF) is a grassroots, community-based organization that provides support, opportunity, and advocacy for skateboarders in NYC and beyond.